- The definition of a gasp is a deep inhale as if in shock.
An example of a gasp is a reaction to seeing an accident occur.
- To gasp is defined as to quickly take a deep breath or to have trouble catching your breath.
- An example of to gasp is to inhale quickly in shock after seeing a car accident.
- An example of to gasp is to breath with effort after having run around the block.
A woman gasps.
gasp definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English gaspen ; from Old Norse geispa, to yawn, probably by metathesis of an unverified form geipsa ; from geipa, to gossip: for Indo-European base see gape
gasp definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb gasped, gasp·ing, gasps verb, intransitive
- To draw in the breath sharply, as from shock.
- To breathe convulsively or laboriously.
Origin: Middle English gaspen, gaispen, to gape, yawn, from Old Norse geispa, to yawn.
gasp - Phrases/Idioms
at the last gasp
- just before death
- just before the end; at the last moment