The dodo is an extinct species.
- An example of extinct is a volcano that is no longer erupting.
- An example of extinct is an old marriage custom in an African tribe.
- An example of extinct is dinosaurs.
- having died down or burned out; extinguished: an extinct fire
- no longer active: an extinct volcano
- no longer in existence or use; specif., having no living examples: an extinct species
- that no living person holds or can claim: said of offices, titles, etc.
- no longer spoken as a native language
Origin of extinctMiddle English ; from Classical Latin extinctus, exstinctus, past participle of exstinguere: see extinguish
- No longer existing or living: an extinct species. See Synonyms at dead.
- No longer burning or active: an extinct volcano.
- No longer in use: an extinct custom.
Origin of extinctMiddle English, from Latin exstīnctus, past participle of exstinguere, to extinguish; see extinguish.
(comparative more extinct, superlative most extinct)
Recorded since 1432; from Latin extinctus, the past participle of extinguere (“to put out, destroy, abolish, extinguish”), corresponding to ex- + stinguere (“to quench”)