This baby is asleep.
- The definition of asleep is a person or animal who is in the process of sleeping, or a person who is not as alert or on top of things as he should be.
- An example for the word asleep is when a baby rests through the night.
- A person who is not paying attention to his work and misses an important deadline could be said to be asleep on the job.
- in a condition of sleep; sleeping
- inactive; dull; sluggish
- numb except for a prickly feeling: my arm is asleep
into a sleeping or inactive condition
- In a state of sleep; sleeping.
- a. Inactive; dormant.b. Indifferent: politicians who are asleep to the needs of their constituents.
- Numb, especially from reduced circulation of blood to a limb: My leg is asleep.
- In or into a state of sleep.
- In or into a state of apathy or indifference.
- Into a state of numbness.
- Into the sleep of the dead.
(comparative more asleep, superlative most asleep)
- In a state of sleep; also, broadly, resting.
- I was asleep when you called.
- Never disturb a man asleep.
- (slang) Inattentive.
- How could you miss that? Were you asleep?
- (of a body part) Having a numb or prickling sensation accompanied by a degree of unresponsiveness.
- My arm fell asleep. You know, like pins and needles.
- (euphemistic) dead
- Not used in attributive position.
- asleep at the switch
From a- (“in, on”) + sleep