defunct[dē fuŋkt′, di-]
- The definition of defunct is a person or thing that no longer lives or exists.
- An example of defunct are dinosaurs.
- An example of defunct is the Soviet Union.
Origin of defunctClassical Latin defunctus, past participle of defungi, to do, finish, die ; from de-, from, off + fungi, to perform: see de- and amp; function
Origin of defunctLatin dēfūnctus, past participle of dēfungī, to finish : dē-, de- + fungī, to perform.
(comparative more defunct, superlative most defunct)
- (now rare) Deceased, dead.
- No longer in use, inactive.
- (computing) Specifically, of a program: that has terminated but is still shown in the list of processes because the parent process that created it is still running and has not yet reaped it. See also zombie, zombie process.
- (business) No longer in business or service.
(third-person singular simple present defuncts, present participle defuncting, simple past and past participle defuncted)
- To make defunct.
- The dead person (referred to).