- Zombie is defined as a dead person who is animated but in a trance and has no free will, or a person behaving in that manner.
An example of a zombie is a character in a fictional movie who chases after people with arms outstretched.
zombie definition by Webster's New World
- in voodoo cults of W Africa, the python deity
- any voodoo snake deity, as in Haiti and parts of the S U.S.
- in West Indian voodoo, a supernatural power through which a corpse supposedly is brought to a state of trancelike animation and made to obey the commands of the person exercising the power
- a corpse so animated
- a person considered to be like a zombie in listlessness, mechanical behavior, etc.
- a weird, eccentric, or unattractive person
- an iced drink made with fruit juices, various kinds of rum, and, often, apricot brandy
Origin: of African origin, originally , as in Congo zumbi, fetish
zombie definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.
- a. A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.b. A corpse revived in this way.
- One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
- A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice.
Origin: Caribbean French and English Creole, from Kimbundu -zumbi, ghost, departed spirit.
zombie - Business Definition
zombie - Computer Definition
A computer that has been covertly taken over in order to perform some nefarious task. It is estimated that millions of PCs around the world have been compromised and, under the control of a third party, routinely transmit messages unbeknownst to the user. Zombies are widely used to relay spam so that messages come from thousands of different IP addresses, avoiding detection and expanding volume at the same time. Denial of Service Before spam became such a popular pastime, zombies were used to transmit phony messages to a server in order to slow down service and disrupt the network. A "pulsing zombie" is one that sends bogus messages in periodic bursts rather than continuously, once again, to avoid detection. See spam, denial of service attack and botnet.