- ⌂ Informal a person using a free ticket to get into a show, ride a train, etc.
- ⌂ a vehicle traveling, as to a terminal, without cargo or passengers
- ⌂ a log floating on end, sometimes fully submerged
- ⌂ Slang a stupid or boring person
- to drive (a vehicle) as a deadhead
- to remove withered flowers from (a plant), as to encourage further blooming
to make a trip without passengers or cargo
- A person who uses a free ticket for admittance, accommodation, or entertainment.
- A vehicle, such as an aircraft, that transports no passengers or freight during a trip.
- Informal A person regarded as dull-witted or sluggish.
- A log or trunk that is partially submerged or lying just beneath the surface.
verbdead·head·ed, dead·head·ing, dead·heads
- To pilot or drive (a vehicle) carrying no passengers or freight.
- To remove dead or withered flowers from (a plant), especially to promote new blooms or prevent the setting of seeds.
- a. To make a trip without passengers or freight.b. To pilot or drive a vehicle on such a trip: “The instruments were out, and it meant they had to deadhead back on another airplane” (Walter J. Boyne).
- To bypass a senior employee in order to promote a more junior employee.
Without passengers or freight; empty.
- A person either admitted to a theatrical or musical performance without charge, or paid to attend
- An employee of a transportation company, especially a pilot, traveling as a passenger for logistical reasons, for example to return home or travel to their next assignment.
- Anyone traveling for free.
- A train or truck moved between cities with no passengers or freight, in order to make it available for service
- A person staying at a lodging, such as a hotel or boarding house, without paying rent; freeloader.
- A stupid or boring person; dullard
- (slang) Driftwood.
- (slang) A fan of the rock band the Grateful Dead (usually Deadhead).
- (slang) A zombie.
(third-person singular simple present deadheads, present participle deadheading, simple past and past participle deadheaded)
From Grateful Dead + -head