- The theory of evolution is an example of the prevailing theory about where people come from, since scientists on the whole currently accept the theory.
- The speed of the wind is an example of the prevailing force of the wind.
The definition of prevailing is something with the most widespread influence or acceptance at the present time.
- superior in strength, influence, or effect
- most frequent, noticeable, etc.; predominant
- widely existing; prevalent
- Generally current; widespread: the prevailing attitude.
- Blowing usually or most frequently from a given direction: a prevailing easterly wind.
(comparative more prevailing, superlative most prevailing)
- Present participle of prevail.