- superior in strength, influence, or effect
- most frequent, noticeable, etc.; predominant
- widely existing; prevalent
- The theory of evolution is an example of the prevailing theory about where people come from, since scientists on the whole currently accept the theory.
- The speed of the wind is an example of the prevailing force of the wind.
- Generally current; widespread: the prevailing attitude.
- Blowing usually or most frequently from a given direction: a prevailing easterly wind.
(comparative more prevailing, superlative most prevailing)
- Present participle of prevail.