- the act of a person or thing that beats
- a whipping or thrashing
- a throbbing; pulsation
- a defeat
- An act of repeated hitting or striking.
- a. A thorough defeat, as in an athletic contest.b. A sharp reversal; a setback: Stocks took a beating from panicky investors.
- A throbbing or pulsation, as of the heart.
- Physics The periodic variation in amplitude of a wave, especially that produced by the superposition of two waves of different frequencies, resulting in segments of more intense and then less intense wave phenomena, such as louder and then quieter sound.
- Present participle of beat.