- The definition of beatify is to cause great happiness.
An example of beatify is to give a loved one a meaningful gift.
- Beatify is defined as to have the Pope name a deceased person one of heaven's blessed, giving them the title “Blessed” along with a public honoring.
An example of beatify is Pope Benedict XVI giving Pope John Paul II the honor and title of being one of the “Blessed.”
- to make blissfully happy
- R.C.Ch. to declare (a deceased person), by public statement, to be in heaven and entitled to some public veneration
Origin: Middle French ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin beatificare ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin ; from beatus ; from Classical Latin (see bonus) plush facere, to make, do
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb be·at·i·fied, be·at·i·fy·ing, be·at·i·fies
- To make blessedly happy.
- Roman Catholic Church To proclaim (a deceased person) to be one of the blessed and thus worthy of public religious veneration in a particular region or religious congregation.
- To exalt above all others.
Origin: French beatifier, from Late Latin beātificāre : Latin beātus, happy; see beatific + Latin -ficāre, -fy.
- be·atˌi·fi·caˈtion noun