- The definition of beatify is to cause great happiness.
An example of beatify is to give a loved one a meaningful gift.
- Beatify is defined as to have the Pope name a deceased person one of heaven's blessed, giving them the title “Blessed” along with a public honoring.
An example of beatify is Pope Benedict XVI giving Pope John Paul II the honor and title of being one of the “Blessed.”
beatify definition by Webster's New World
- to make blissfully happy
- R.C.Ch. to declare (a deceased person), by public statement, to be in heaven and entitled to some public veneration
Origin: Middle French ; from Ecclesiastical Medieval Latin beatificare ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin ; from beatus ; from Classical Latin (see bonus) plush facere, to make, do
beatify definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb be·at·i·fied, be·at·i·fy·ing, be·at·i·fies
- To make blessedly happy.
- Roman Catholic Church To proclaim (a deceased person) to be one of the blessed and thus worthy of public religious veneration in a particular region or religious congregation.
- To exalt above all others.
Origin: French beatifier, from Late Latin beātificāre : Latin beātus, happy; see beatific + Latin -ficāre, -fy.
- be·atˌi·fi·caˈtion noun