- The definition of a massacre is the killing of a large number of people or animals at random and without mercy.
An example of a massacre was the Holocaust.
- the indiscriminate, merciless killing of a number of human beings
- a large-scale slaughter of animals
- Informal an overwhelming defeat, as in sports
Origin: Fr from Old French maçacre, macecle, butchery, shambles from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- massacrer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act or an instance of killing a large number of humans indiscriminately and cruelly.
- The slaughter of a large number of animals.
- Informal A severe defeat, as in a sports event.
- To kill indiscriminately and wantonly; slaughter.
- Informal To defeat decisively.
- Informal To botch; bungle: massacred the French language trying to order dinner.
Origin: French, from Old French macecle, macecre, butchery, shambles.
- masˈsa·crer noun