- The definition of annihilate means to completely destroy.
To bomb a building, murdering all of the inhabitants, is an example of annihilate.
annihilate definition by Webster's New World
- to destroy completely; put out of existence; demolish: an atomic bomb can annihilate a city
- to consider or cause to be of no importance or without effect; nullify: to annihilate another's ambition
- to kill
- to conquer decisively; crush
Origin: ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin annihilatus, past participle of annihilare, to bring to nothing ; from Classical Latin ad, to plush nihil, nothing
annihilate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb an·ni·hi·lat·ed, an·ni·hi·lat·ing, an·ni·hi·lates verb, transitive
- a. To destroy completely: The naval force was annihilated during the attack.b. To reduce to nonexistence.c. To defeat decisively; vanquish.
- To nullify or render void; abolish.
Origin: Late Latin annihilāre, annihilāt- : Latin ad-, ad- + Latin nihil, nothing; see ne in Indo-European roots.
- an·niˌhi·la·bilˈi·ty noun
- an·niˈhi·la·ble adjective
- an·niˈhi·laˌtor noun