- Slay is defined as to kill or destroy in a violent way, or is slang meaning to impress or amuse.
- An example of slay is to kill a vampire.
- An example of slay is to tell ten hysterical jokes one right after another.
- to kill or destroy in a violent way
- Slang to impress, delight, amuse, etc. with overwhelming force
- Obsolete to strike or hit
Origin: Middle English slean from Old English from an unverified form slahan, akin to German schlagen, Dutch slagen from Indo-European base an unverified form slak-, to hit from source Middle Irish slacc, sword
- slayer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb slew slew , slain slain , slay·ing, slays
- To kill violently.
- past tense and past participle often slayed slayed Slang To overwhelm, as with laughter or love: Those old jokes still slay me.
Origin: Middle English slen, slayen, from Old English slēan.
- slayˈer noun