- Assassinate is defined as the act of killing someone (usually a famous person) deliberately, or the act of killing someone after being hired to do so.
An example of assassinate is pulling the trigger on a gun to kill a President.
- The definition of assassinate is to harm or destroy an idea or someone's reputation.
An example of assassinate is when a local school teacher looses his job after someone tells the community of the teacher's past history of theft.
assassinate definition by Webster's New World
- assassination noun
assassinate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb as·sas·si·nat·ed, as·sas·si·nat·ing, as·sas·si·nates
- To murder (a prominent person) by surprise attack, as for political reasons.
- To destroy or injure treacherously: assassinate a rival's character.
- as·sasˌsi·naˈtion noun
- as·sasˈsi·naˌtive adjective
- as·sasˈsi·naˌtor noun