- Assassinate is defined as the act of killing someone (usually a famous person) deliberately, or the act of killing someone after being hired to do so.
An example of assassinate is pulling the trigger on a gun to kill a President.
- The definition of assassinate is to harm or destroy an idea or someone's reputation.
An example of assassinate is when a local school teacher looses his job after someone tells the community of the teacher's past history of theft.
transitive verb-·nat·ed, -·nat·ing
- to murder (esp. a politically important or prominent person) by surprise attack, usually for payment or from zealous belief
- to harm or ruin (someone's reputation, etc.), as by slander, vilification, etc.
transitive verbas·sas·si·nat·ed, as·sas·si·nat·ing, as·sas·si·nates
- To murder (a prominent person) by surprise attack, as for political reasons.
- To destroy or injure treacherously: assassinate a rival's character.
(third-person singular simple present assassinates, present participle assassinating, simple past and past participle assassinated)
From assassin + -ate, after Middle French assassiner.