- When you suddenly lose your job, get sick, get evicted and have your car break down all within two days, this is an example of an onslaught of trouble.
- When a restaurant gets two tour buses arriving at the same time and unloading 50 guests, this is an example of an onslaught.
The definition of an onslaught is a violent attack, or a situation where you are suddenly bombarded with a lot of things or people all at once.
a violent, intense attack
Origin of onslaughtaltered (infl. by slaughter) from Dutch annslag from slagen, to strike: see slay
- A violent attack.
- An overwhelming outpouring: an onslaught of third-class mail.
Origin of onslaughtAlteration ( influenced by obsolete slaughte slaughter ) of Dutch aanslag a striking at from Middle Dutch aenslach aen- on ; see an- in Indo-European roots. slach a striking
- A fierce attack.
- A large quantity of people or things resembling an attack.
- They opened the doors and prepared for the onslaught of holiday shoppers.