- The definition of an attempt is an effort made to accomplish something.
An example of an attempt is a baby trying to take his first few steps.
- Attempt is defined as to make an effort to do something.
An example of attempt is to try to complete a large jigsaw puzzle in one sitting.
attempt definition by Webster's New World
- to make an effort to do, get, have, etc.; try; endeavor
- Archaic to tempt
Origin: Middle English attempten ; from Old French attempter ; from Classical Latin attemptare, to try, solicit ; from ad-, to plush temptare, to try: see tempt
- a try
- an attack, as on a person's life
- attemptable adjective
attempt definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb at·tempt·ed, at·tempt·ing, at·tempts
- To try to perform, make, or achieve: attempted to read the novel in one sitting; attempted a difficult dive.
- Archaic To tempt.
- Archaic To attack with the intention of subduing.
- An effort or a try.
- An attack; an assault: an attempt on someone's life.
Origin: Middle English attempten, from Old French attempter, from Latin attemptāre : ad-, ad- + temptāre, to test.
- at·temptˈa·ble adjective
- at·temptˈer noun
attempt - Legal Definition
attempt - Phrases/Idioms
attempt the life of