- the act or process of trying, testing, or putting to the proof; test
- a testing of qualifications, attainments, or progress; probation
- experimental treatment or operation; experiment
- the fact or state of being tried by suffering, temptation, etc.
- a hardship, suffering, etc. that tries one's endurance
- a person or thing that is a source of annoyance or irritation
- a formal examination of the facts of a case by a court of law to decide the validity of a charge or claim
- an attempt; endeavor; effort
Origin of trialAnglo-French from trier: see try
- of a trial or trials
- made, done, or used for the purpose of trying, testing, etc.