An example of trial is the court case of an accused robber.
An example of trial is the use of a small size bottle of shampoo to sample the product.
An example of trial is a physical obstacle course.
Succeeded on the third trial.
The child was a trial to his parents.
A married couple on a trial separation.
That boy was a trial to his parents.
The warning system was extensively trialled before being fitted to all our vehicles.
The team trialled a new young goalkeeper in Saturday's match, with mixed results.
- In the process of being tried, as in a court of law.
- A test of one's abilities, especially the ability to perform well under pressure.
- in the process of being tried, as in a court of law
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of trial
- Middle English triall a testing from Anglo-Norman trial from trier to pick out, try from Old French trier to pick out, separate out try
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Latin trialis, an adjective formed from tres (“three") + -Älis.