An example of cross is to travel by boat from one side of the river to the other.
An example of cross is to X out an item on a shopping list.
An example of cross is the symbol that hangs in a church.
An example of cross is two streets that intersect one another.
A novel that is a cross between romance and satire.
Crossed the room to greet us; a bridge that crosses the bay.
Crossed the horses at the ford.
Elm Street crosses Oak Street.
Cross one's legs.
His path crossed mine.
A movie that crosses horror with humor.
Don't cross me.
Their paths crossed at the health club.
Our letters must have crossed in the mail.
A cross street.
The Distinguished Service Cross.
Cross your fingers.
Where two streets cross one another.
Cross your t's.
To cross the ocean.
The bridge crosses a river.
The wires were crossed.
Cross street, cross ventilation.
At cross purposes.
Crossbow, crossbreed, crosswise.
- To come to know; realize:.It crossed my mind that you might want to leave early.
- To be thorough or painstaking in attending to details.
- To pay, tip, or bribe.
- To quarrel or fight.
- To cancel by or as by drawing lines across.
- To outline the form of a cross as a Christian religious act by moving the hand from the forehead to the breast and then from one shoulder to the other.
- To cross one finger over another of the same hand: superstitiously believed to bring good luck or mitigate the wrong of telling a half-truth.
- To make an outline of an X, by a movement of the hand or fingers, over one's heart as a token that one is telling the truth.
- To come suddenly or briefly to someone's mind.
- To pay someone money, esp. as a bribe.
- To meet or encounter someone.
- To confuse or disorder.
- To deceive, or double-cross.
- The cross on which Jesus was put to death.
- The suffering and death or Atonement of Jesus.
- Christianity or Christendom.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of cross
- Middle English cros from Old English probably from Old Norse kross from Old Irish cros from Latin crux
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition