- the bearing or undergoing of pain, distress, or injury
- something suffered; pain, distress, or injury
Suffering is being or remaining in pain or misery.
An example of suffering is a person being tortured daily.
- The condition of one who suffers; the bearing of pain or distress.
- An instance of pain or distress.
- Experiencing pain. syn.
- Present participle of suffer.
- Can't you do it more gently? said the Emperor apparently suffering more than the dying soldier, and he rode away.
- Israel is suffering for a great end.
- He isn't suffering now.
- If what A'Ran said was true, her presence would stop the suffering of his people.
- We've gotta treat as many people as we can who are suffering from radiation poisoning.