- An example of an affliction would be a diagnosis of a fatal illness.
- An example of an affliction is the process of going through chemotherapy.
The definition of an affliction is a curse to bear, or something that causes agony, suffering, or great pain.
- an afflicted condition; pain; suffering
- anything causing pain or distress; calamity
Origin of afflictionMiddle English affliccion ; from Old French affliction ; from Classical Latin afflictio
- A condition of pain, suffering, or distress: the affliction of arthritis. See Synonyms at trial.
- A cause of pain, suffering, or distress: “The mount twists wind and weather to alter them into afflictions as a heartless monarch does laws” (William Least Heat-Moon). See Synonyms at burden.