- The definition of an affliction is a curse to bear, or something that causes agony, suffering, or great pain.
- An example of an affliction would be a diagnosis of a fatal illness.
- An example of an affliction is the process of going through chemotherapy.
affliction definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an afflicted condition; pain; suffering
- anything causing pain or distress; calamity
Origin: Middle English affliccion ; from Old French affliction ; from Classical Latin afflictio
affliction definition by American Heritage Dictionary