- When someone sends you flowers after a loss, this is an example of consolation.
- When you receive a prize to make you feel better even though you did not win, this is an example of a consolation.
The definition of consolation refers to comfort that is given to someone in a time of disappointment, or to the people or things that are providing that comfort.
- a consoling or being consoled; comfort; solace
- a person or thing that consoles
Origin of consolationMiddle English consolacioun from Old French consolation from Classical Latin consolatio
- a. The act or an instance of consoling.b. The state of being consoled.
- One that consoles; a comfort: Your kindness was a consolation to me in my grief.
- Sports A second, smaller tournament or round of play for participants who have been eliminated before the final of a tournament, often to determine third and fourth place.
From Old French consolacion (French consolation)