The definition of a disturbance is an interruption of what should be going on, or a bothersome intrusion.noun
- Kids playing music when you are trying to nap is an example of a disturbance.
- A riot to protest unfair political treatment is an example of a disturbance.
- A severe mental illness such as bipolar disorder that interrupts normal brain function is an example of a mental disturbance.
- a disturbing or being disturbed
- any departure from normal
- anything that disturbs
- the state of being worried, troubled, or anxious
- commotion; disorder
Origin: ME < OFr distourbance
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act of disturbing.b. The condition of being disturbed: “The forest . . . is in various stages of disturbance. Only the biggest trees . . . have been left standing” (Alex Shoumatoff).
- Something that disturbs, as a commotion, scuffle, or public tumult.
- Mental or emotional unbalance or disorder.
- A variation in normal wind conditions.
- Geology Folding or faulting that affects a relatively large area.