- The definition of a console is a storage compartment or cabinet.
An example of console is where people store items in their car.
- Console means to comfort someone.
An example of console is visiting with a friend whose husband has just left her for another woman.
A father consoles his son.
console definition by Webster's New World
- an ornamental bracket for supporting a shelf, bust, cornice, etc.
- console table
- the desklike frame containing the keys, stops, pedals, and other controls of an organ
- a radio, television, or phonograph cabinet designed to stand on the floor
- ☆ an instrument panel or unit, containing gauges and the controls for operating aircraft, automobiles, computers, and other electrical or electronic systems
- a raised portion between bucket seats in an automobile, containing storage compartments, switches and controls, etc.
Origin: French probably contr. ; from consolateur, literally , one who consoles (see console); name for carved figures supporting cornices or as rails in choir stalls (sense development analogous to misericord, sense )
console definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb con·soled, con·sol·ing, con·soles
Origin: French consoler, from Old French, from Latin cōnsōlārī : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + sōlārī, to comfort.
- con·solˈa·ble adjective
- con·soˈla·toˌry adjective
- con·solˈer noun
- con·solˈing·ly adverb
- a. A cabinet for a radio, television set, or phonograph, designed to stand on the floor.b. A small freestanding storage cabinet.
- Music The desklike part of an organ that contains the keyboard, stops, and pedals.
- a. A central control panel for a mechanical, electrical, or electronic system.b. An instrument panel.
- The portion of a computer or peripheral that houses the apparatus used to operate the machine manually and provides a means of communication between the computer operator and the central processing unit, often in the form of a keyboard.
- A small storage compartment mounted between bucket seats in an automobile.
- An often scroll-shaped bracket used for decoration or for supporting a projecting member, such as a cornice or shelf.
- A console table.
Origin: French, perhaps short for consolider, to strengthen, from Latin cōnsolidāre; see consolidate.
console - Computer Definition
- A control unit or terminal, including a display and keyboard, that an operator or administrator uses to communicate with and control a computer system such as a central office (CO), PBX, or general-purpose computer.
- The keyboard and display components of a personal computer (PC), or microcomputer.
A program interface for managing networks or software, or a terminal consisting of a computer monitor and a computer keyboard.
(1) The physical control panel on a computer or electronic device.
(2) A game machine. See video game console.
(3) A terminal or desktop computer used to monitor and control a network.
(4) Any display terminal.