butchery definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. butcheries
- Now Chiefly Brit. a place where animals are killed for meat; slaughterhouse
- the work or business of a butcher
- brutal bloodshed or slaughter
- the act or result of botching
Origin: Middle English bocherie ; from Old French boucherie: see butcher
butchery definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. butch·er·ies
- Wanton or cruel killing; carnage.
- Something botched; a bungle.
- The trade of a butcher.
- Chiefly British A slaughterhouse.