- The definition of predominant is the most common or having authority or influence over others.
An example of predominant used as an adjective is the phrase predominant species which means the species with the highest population in a particular area.
predominant definition by Webster's New World
- having ascendancy, authority, or dominating influence over others; superior
- most frequent, noticeable, etc.; prevailing; preponderant
Origin: French prédominant ; from Midieval Latin predominans, present participle of predominari: see pre- and amp; dominant
predominant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having greatest ascendancy, importance, influence, authority, or force. See Synonyms at dominant.
- Most common or conspicuous; main or prevalent: the predominant color in a design.
Origin: Medieval Latin praedomināns, praedominant-, present participle of praedominārī, to predominate; see predominate.
- pre·domˈi·nant·ly adverb