- The definition of predominant is the most common or having authority or influence over others.
An example of predominant used as an adjective is the phrase predominant species which means the species with the highest population in a particular area.
- having ascendancy, authority, or dominating influence over others; superior
- most frequent, noticeable, etc.; prevailing; preponderant
Origin of predominantFrench prédominant ; from Medieval Latin predominans, present participle of predominari: see pre- and amp; dominant
- Having the most importance, influence, or force: the predominant theory in the field.
- Most common or conspicuous; main or prevalent: “Egrets, gulls and small mammals are the predominant wildlife on the island these days” (Dan McCoubrey).
Origin of predominantMedieval Latin praedomināns, praedominant-, present participle of praedominārī, to predominate; see predominate.
(comparative more predominant, superlative most predominant)
- (music) A subdominant.