subdominant[sub däm′ə nənt]
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
less than or only partly dominant
- something that is subdominant
- Ecol. a species having considerable importance in a community but much less influence than the dominant species
- Music the fourth tone of a diatonic scale; tone next below the dominant
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The fourth tone of a diatonic scale, next below the dominant.adjective
- Zoology Less than dominant; ranking below one that is dominant: the subdominant male in a pride of lions.
- Ecology Prevalent in a community but below the dominant in importance. Used of a species.