less than or only partly dominant
- something that is subdominant
- Ecol. a species having considerable importance in a community but much less influence than the dominant species
- Music the fourth tone of a diatonic scale; tone next below the dominant
The fourth tone of a diatonic scale, next below the dominant.
- Zoology Less than dominant; ranking below one that is dominant: the subdominant male in a pride of lions.
- Ecology Prevalent in a community but below the dominant in importance. Used of a species.
- (music) The fourth tone of a scale.
- (music) The triad built on the subdominant tone.
sub- +"Ž dominant