- Predominantly, an alternative spelling for predominately, is defined as mostly or mainly.
If there are more women working in a profession then men, this is an example of a profession that is predominantly female.
(comparative more predominantly, superlative most predominantly)
- In a predominant manner. Most commonly or frequently by a large margin.
- The membership is predominantly elderly, 90% are over age 60.
predominant + -ly
Variant of predominant
- having ascendancy, authority, or dominating influence over others; superior
- most frequent, noticeable, etc.; prevailing; preponderant
Origin of predominantFrench prédominant ; from Medieval Latin predominans, present participle of predominari: see pre- and amp; dominant