- Predominate is defined as to have control or authority over.
An example of predominate is a prison guard having control over prisoners.
predominate definition by Webster's New World
- to have ascendancy, authority, or dominating influence (over others); hold sway
- to be dominant in amount, number, etc.; prevail; preponderate
Origin: ; from Midieval Latin predominatus, past participle of predominari: see pre- and amp; dominate
predominate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb pre·dom·i·nat·ed, pre·dom·i·nat·ing, pre·dom·i·nates verb, intransitive
- To have or gain controlling power or influence; prevail: Good predominates over evil in many literary works.
- To be of or have greater quantity or importance; preponderate: French-speaking people predominate in Quebec.
Origin: Medieval Latin praedominārī, praedomināt- : Latin prae-, pre- + Latin dominārī, to rule (from dominus, master; see dem- in Indo-European roots).
- pre·domˈi·nate·ly adverb
- pre·domˌi·naˈtion noun
- pre·domˈi·naˌtor noun