overriding definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
First in priority; more important than all others: Our overriding concern is the eradication of illiteracy.
- oˌver·ridˈing·ly adverb
overriding - Medical Definition
- First in priority; more important than all others.
- Of or relating to a fracture in which the broken ends of the bone slip past each other and are held in the overlap position by contracted muscles.
- Of or relating to a fetal head that is palpable above the pubic symphysis because of the disproportion between the size of the fetal head and the size of the maternal pelvis.
Variant of override
transitive verb overrode, overridden, overriding
- to ride over
- to trample down
- to surpass or prevail over
- to disregard, overrule, or nullify; specif., to change or cancel (an automatic function)
- to fatigue (a horse, etc.) by riding too long
- to pass or extend over
- ☆ to receive a commission on the sales made by (a subagent)
- Surgery to overlap
- the act or an instance of overriding
- a system or device for changing or canceling an automatic function
- ☆ the commission paid an agent or manager on sales made by his or her representatives