First in priority; more important than all others: Our overriding concern is the eradication of illiteracy.
- Present participle of override.
Variant of override
transitive verboverrode, overridden, overriding
- to ride over
- to trample down
- to surpass or prevail over
- to disregard, overrule, or nullify; specif., to change or cancel (an automatic function)
- to fatigue (a horse, etc.) by riding too long
- to pass or extend over
- ☆ to receive a commission on the sales made by (a subagent)
- Surgery to overlap
- the act or an instance of overriding
- a system or device for changing or canceling an automatic function
- ☆ the commission paid an agent or manager on sales made by his or her representatives