The definition of a fantasia is a musical medley or composition which is composed according to the composer's whim, without a particular style.
An example of a fantasia is Mozart's Fantasia in D minor.
- any of a number of predominantly improvisational musical compositions, with a structure determined by the composer's fancy
- a literary work similarly constructed
- a medley of familiar tunes
Origin of fantasiaItalian from Classical Latin phantasia: see fantasy
- A free composition structured according to the composer's fancy. Also called fantasy .
- A medley of familiar themes, with variations and interludes.
Origin of fantasiaItalian from Latin phantasia fantasy ; see fantasy .
NounSee also: fantasía