The definition of a fantasia is a musical medley or composition which is composed according to the composer's whim, without a particular style.noun
An example of a fantasia is Mozart's Fantasia in D minor.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- any of a number of predominantly improvisational musical compositions, with a structure determined by the composer's fancy
- a literary work similarly constructed
- a medley of familiar tunes
Origin: It < L phantasia: see fantasy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A free composition structured according to the composer's fancy. Also called fantasy.
- A medley of familiar themes, with variations and interludes.
Origin: Italian, from Latin phantasia, fantasy; see fantasy.