- The definition of a fantasia is a musical medley or composition which is composed according to the composer's whim, without a particular style.
An example of a fantasia is Mozart's Fantasia in D minor.
fantasia definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- any of a number of predominantly improvisational musical compositions, with a structure determined by the composer's fancy
- a literary work similarly constructed
- a medley of familiar tunes
Origin: Italian ; from Classical Latin phantasia: see fantasy
fantasia definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A free composition structured according to the composer's fancy. Also called fantasy.
- A medley of familiar themes, with variations and interludes.
Origin: Italian, from Latin phantasia, fantasy; see fantasy.