fantasia[fan tā′z̸hə, -zē ə; fant′ə zē′ə]
- The definition of a fantasia is a musical medley or composition which is composed according to the composer's whim, without a particular style.
An example of a fantasia is Mozart's Fantasia in D minor.
- any of a number of predominantly improvisational musical compositions, with a structure determined by the composer's fancy
- a literary work similarly constructed
- a medley of familiar tunes
Origin of fantasiaItalian ; from Classical Latin phantasia: see fantasy
- A free composition structured according to the composer's fancy. Also called fantasy.
- A medley of familiar themes, with variations and interludes.
Origin of fantasiaItalian, from Latin phantasia, fantasy; see fantasy.