- the act or process of summing up, or of finding a total
- a total or aggregate
- the final summing up of arguments, as in a court trial or debate, before the decision is given
Origin: ModL summatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act or process of adding; addition.
- A sum or aggregate.
- A concluding part of a speech or argument containing a summary of principal points, especially of a case before a court of law.
- Physiology The process by which multiple or repeated stimuli can produce a response in a nerve, muscle, or other part that one stimulus alone cannot produce.
Origin: New Latin summātiō, summātiōn-, from Late Latin summātus, past participle of summāre, to sum up, from Latin summa, sum; see sum .
summation - Medical Definition