- the act of recapitulating
- a summary, or brief restatement
- palingenesis (sense )
- Music the section of a composition which restates themes presented earlier; esp., the final division of the sonata form
Origin of recapitulationMiddle English recapitulacion from Middle French or LL: Middle French recapitulation from Late Latin recapitulatio
- The act or process of recapitulating.
- A summary or concise review.
- See biogenesis.
- Music Restatement or reworking of the exposition in the tonic, constituting the third and final section of the typical sonata form.
- A subsequent brief recitement or enumeration of the major points in a narrative, article, or book.
- (music) The third major section of a musical movement written in sonata form, representing thematic material that originally appeared in the exposition section.
- (biology) The reenactment of the embryonic development in evolution of the species.
- (theology) The symmetry provided by Christ's life to the teachings of the Old Testament; the summation of human experience in Jesus Christ.