- When a drunk person can barely walk but slowly lurches forward, this is an example of when he is staggering.
- When you receive shocking news that you have just won the lottery, this is an example of staggering news.
- When you schedule meetings 20 minutes apart so they don't overlap, this is an example of staggering the meetings.
Staggering is defined as walking unsteadily or moving shakily forward, or shocking deeply, or arranging events so they do not happen all at once.
- that staggers
- that causes one to stagger; astonishing; overwhelming; specif., astonishingly great: a staggering sum
Causing great astonishment, amazement, or dismay; overwhelming: a staggering achievement; a staggering defeat.
- Present participle of stagger.