- Staggering is defined as walking unsteadily or moving shakily forward, or shocking deeply, or arranging events so they do not happen all at once.
- When a drunk person can barely walk but slowly lurches forward, this is an example of when he is staggering.
- When you receive shocking news that you have just won the lottery, this is an example of staggering news.
- When you schedule meetings 20 minutes apart so they don't overlap, this is an example of staggering the meetings.
- that staggers
- that causes one to stagger; astonishing; overwhelming; specif., astonishingly great: a staggering sum
- staggeringly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- stagˈger·ing·ly adverb