- The definition of timid is shy and fearful.
An example of timid is a scared and lost child.
- easily frightened; lacking self-confidence; shy; timorous
- showing fear or lack of self-confidence; hesitant: a timid reply
Origin of timidClassical Latin timidus ; from timere, to fear
- Lacking self-confidence; shy.
- Fearful and hesitant: problems that call for bold, not timid, responses.
Origin of timidLatin timidus, from timēre, to fear.
- ti·mid′i·ty, tim′id·ness
(comparative timider, superlative timidest)