provisional[prə viz̸h′ə nəl, prō-]
- The definition of provisional is something arranged or done on a temporary basis with the intent to re-evaluate or change to something permanent later.
A new department head that is only awarded the job on a temporary basis is an example of a provisional department head.
- Provided or serving only for the time being. See Synonyms at temporary.
- Provisional Of or relating to any of the extremist factions of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
- A person hired temporarily for a job, typically before having taken an examination qualifying the person for permanent employment: fire department provisionals.
- A temporary stamp that is used before the official issue is released.
- Provisional A member of a Provisional faction of the Irish Republican Army.
(plural Provisionals) (abbreviated as Provo)
- a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army