The definition of provisional is something arranged or done on a temporary basis with the intent to re-evaluate or change to something permanent later.
A new department head that is only awarded the job on a temporary basis is an example of a provisional department head.
having the nature of a temporary provision; arranged or established for the time being, pending permanent arrangement or establishment
a postage stamp issued, as by a postmaster, for temporary use pending an official issue
- Provided or serving only for the time being. See Synonyms at temporary.
- Provisional Of or relating to any of the extremist factions of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
- A person hired temporarily for a job, typically before having taken an examination qualifying the person for permanent employment: fire department provisionals.
- A temporary stamp that is used before the official issue is released.
- Provisional A member of a Provisional faction of the Irish Republican Army.
(plural Provisionals) (abbreviated as Provo)
- a member of the Provisional Irish Republican Army
- A provisional convention was granted to a German company by the Porte, and an irade was obtained in 1902.
- Sulla's dictatorship was the form taken by a provisional government.
- A provisional government was proclaimed by the insurgents, with headquarters at Desterro, and communication was opened with Gumercindo Saraiva, the leader of the insurrection in Rio Grande do Sul.
- Denver had already been incorporated by a provisional local (extra legal) " legislature," and the Kansas legislature gave a charter to a rival company which the Denver people bought out.
- Provisional 1865 Benjamin Grubb Humphreys 2.