- The definition of provisional is something arranged or done on a temporary basis with the intent to re-evaluate or change to something permanent later.
A new department head that is only awarded the job on a temporary basis is an example of a provisional department head.
provisional definition by Webster's New World
having the nature of a temporary provision; arranged or established for the time being, pending permanent arrangement or establishment
☆ a postage stamp issued, as by a postmaster, for temporary use pending an official issue
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- provisionally adverb
provisional definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Provided or serving only for the time being. See Synonyms at temporary.
- Provisional Of or relating to any of the extremist factions of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
- A person hired temporarily for a job, typically before having taken an examination qualifying the person for permanent employment: fire department provisionals.
- A temporary stamp that is used before the official issue is released.
- Provisional A member of a Provisional faction of the Irish Republican Army established in 1970.
- pro·viˈsion·al·ly adverb