inadvertent[in′ad vʉrt′'nt, -əd-]
The definition of inadvertent is something unintentional or careless.
An example of inadvertent is someone accidentally telling another person's secret.
- not attentive or observant; heedless
- due to oversight; unintentional
Origin of inadvertentprobably back-formation ; from inadvertence
- Marked by or resulting from carelessness; negligent: an inadvertent error; an inadvertent omission.
- Not deliberate or considered; unintentional: an inadvertent remark; inadvertent humor. See Synonyms at careless.
- Not intending to be so; unwitting: “Physicians have already begun to take on the role of gatekeepers, inadvertent agents of selection &ellipsis; deciding on the relative value of different human lives” (Robert Pollack).