- The definition of temperamental is someone or something that is prone to wild swings of emotion or that does not behave or work reliably.
- A car engine that is temperamental is one that doesn't start reliably or that starts only under certain conditions.
- A person who gets mad or happy easily and swings from one emotion to the other is an example of someone who is temperamental.
- of or caused by temperament
- having an excitable temperament; easily upset
- erratic in behavior; unpredictable
- temperamentally adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Relating to or caused by temperament: our temperamental differences.
- Excessively sensitive or irritable; moody.
- Likely to perform unpredictably; undependable: a temperamental motor.
- temˌper·a·menˈtal·ly adverb