- A car engine that is temperamental is one that doesn't start reliably or that starts only under certain conditions.
- A person who gets mad or happy easily and swings from one emotion to the other is an example of someone who is temperamental.
The definition of temperamental is someone or something that is prone to wild swings of emotion or that does not behave or work reliably.
- of or caused by temperament
- having an excitable temperament; easily upset
- erratic in behavior; unpredictable
- Relating to or caused by temperament: our temperamental differences.
- Excessively sensitive or irritable; moody.
- Likely to perform unpredictably; undependable: a temperamental motor.
(comparative more temperamental, superlative most temperamental)
- (not comparable) of, related to, or caused by temperament
- subject to changing and unpredictable emotional states; moody, capricious; sometimes used figuratively to describe user-unfriendly or unstable machines or software that are either complicated and/or have poorly written instructions and are subsequently difficult to operate.