temperamental[tem′pər ə ment′'l, -prə ment′'l]
- The definition of temperamental is someone or something that is prone to wild swings of emotion or that does not behave or work reliably.
- A car engine that is temperamental is one that doesn't start reliably or that starts only under certain conditions.
- A person who gets mad or happy easily and swings from one emotion to the other is an example of someone who is temperamental.
- of or caused by temperament
- having an excitable temperament; easily upset
- erratic in behavior; unpredictable
- Relating to or caused by temperament: our temperamental differences.
- Excessively sensitive or irritable; moody.
- Likely to perform unpredictably; undependable: a temperamental motor.
(comparative more temperamental, superlative most temperamental)
- (not comparable) of, related to, or caused by temperament
- subject to changing and unpredictable emotional states; moody, capricious; sometimes used figuratively to describe user-unfriendly or unstable machines or software that are either complicated and/or have poorly written instructions and are subsequently difficult to operate.