that provokes; esp., annoying or vexing
Troubling the nerves or peace of mind, as by repeated vexations: a provoking delay at the airport.
- Present participle of provoke.
Variant of provoke
transitive verbprovoked, provoking
- to excite to some action or feeling
- to anger, irritate, or annoy
- to stir up (action or feeling)
- to call forth; evoke: to provoke a smile
Origin of provokeMiddle English provoken ; from Middle French provoquer ; from Classical Latin provocare, to call forth ; from pro-, pro- + vocare, to call ; from vox, voice