- Pique is defined as to arouse someone's interest, curiosity or resentment.
An example of pique is an ad for a TV show that is intriguing and that makes people want to watch.
pique definition by Webster's New World
- resentment at being slighted or disdained; ruffled pride
- a fit of displeasure
Origin: French ; from piquer: see piquant
pique definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- To cause to feel resentment or indignation.
- To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.
- To pride (oneself): He piqued himself on his stylish attire.
Origin: French, a prick, irritation, from Old French, from piquer, to prick, from Vulgar Latin *piccāre, ultimately of imitative origin.
Origin: French, past participle of piquer, to quilt, from Old French, to backstitch, prick; see pique .
pique - Phrases/Idioms
pique oneself onor pique oneself upon
Variant of piqué
Origin: French past participle of piquer, to prick: see pike