- The definition of a work-up is a complete medical examination including a medical history, physical exam, lab tests, x-rays and analysis, or an unwanted mark on a printed page caused by improperly positioned spacing type or bars.
- An example of a work-up is a thorough physical.
- An example of a work-up is a smudge on a page of a magazine.
- a complete medical study of a patient, including a thorough examination, laboratory tests, a survey of the patient's case history, etc.
- Printing an unwanted mark on a printed page caused by the rising of spacing material
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
work-up - Phrases/Idioms
Arouse emotions; see worked up.
Increase one's skill, status, or responsibility through effort, as in He worked up to 30 sit-ups a day, or She worked up to bank manager. Also see work one's way. [Second half of 1600s]
Intensify gradually, as in The film worked up to a thrilling climax. [Second half of 1600s]
Develop or produce by effort, as in Swimming always works up an appetite. [Second half of 1600s]