- The definition of a nettle is a tall weed that has pointy hairs on the leaves and stems.
An example of a nettle is a stinging nettle.
- Nettle is defined as to sting, poke or annoy.
An example of to nettle is to continuously poke someone with a stick.
The stinging nettle plant.
- any of a genus (Urtica) of annual and perennial weeds of the nettle family with stinging hairs
- any of various other stinging or spiny plants
Origin of nettleMiddle English netle ; from Old English netele, akin to German nessel ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ned-, to twist together from source net: from the use of such plants as a source of spinning fiber
- Any of various plants of the genus Urtica, having toothed leaves, unisexual apetalous flowers, and stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact.
- Any of various hairy, stinging, or prickly plants.
transitive verbnet·tled, net·tling, net·tles
- To sting with or as if with a nettle.
- To irritate; vex.
Origin of nettleMiddle English, from Old English netele; see ned- in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present nettles, present participle nettling, simple past and past participle nettled)
From Middle English, from Old English netle, netele, netel from Proto-Germanic *natilǭ (cogate with Old Saxon netila, Middle Dutch netele (modern netel), German Nessel, Middle Danish nædlæ "nettle"), a diminutive of *naton (of unknown origin, perhaps from the same source as net).