- The definition of a nettle is a tall weed that has pointy hairs on the leaves and stems.
An example of a nettle is a stinging nettle.
- Nettle is defined as to sting, poke or annoy.
An example of to nettle is to continuously poke someone with a stick.
The stinging nettle plant.
nettle definition by Webster's New World
- any of a genus (Urtica) of annual and perennial weeds of the nettle family with stinging hairs
- any of various other stinging or spiny plants
Origin: Middle English netle ; from Old English netele, akin to German nessel ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ned-, to twist together from source net: from the use of such plants as a source of spinning fiber
- nettler noun
nettle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of numerous plants of the genus Urtica, having toothed leaves, unisexual apetalous flowers, and stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact.
- Any of various hairy, stinging, or prickly plants.
- To sting with or as if with a nettle.
- To irritate; vex.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English netele; see ned- in Indo-European roots.