The definition of a nettle is a tall weed that has pointy hairs on the leaves and stems.noun
An example of a nettle is a stinging nettle.
Nettle is defined as to sting, poke or annoy.verb
An example of to nettle is to continuously poke someone with a stick.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- any of a genus (Urtica) of annual and perennial weeds of the nettle family with stinging hairs
- any of various other stinging or spiny plants
Origin: ME netle < OE netele, akin to Ger nessel < IE base *ned-, to twist together > net: from the use of such plants as a source of spinning fiber
- nettler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of numerous plants of the genus Urtica, having toothed leaves, unisexual apetalous flowers, and stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact.
- Any of various hairy, stinging, or prickly plants.
- To sting with or as if with a nettle.
- To irritate; vex.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English netele; see ned- in Indo-European roots.