- The definition of an irritation is something that causes annoyance or discomfort, or a feeling of annoyance.
- A constantly dripping faucet is an example of an irritation.
- A rash on your skin from a product you are allergic to is an example of an irritation.
- When you feel annoyed because of someone constantly asking stupid questions, this is an example of when you feel irritation.
A woman finds her husbands snoring an irritation.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the act or process of irritating
- the fact or condition of being irritated
- something that irritates
- Med. an excessive response to stimulation in an organ or part, specif. a condition of soreness or inflammation
Origin: L irritatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act of irritating.b. The condition of being irritated; vexation: honked the horn with irritation at the delay.
- A source of irritation.
- Pathology A condition of inflammation, soreness, or irritability of a bodily organ or part.
- Physiology The elicitation of activity or response in an animal or plant organ or tissue.
irritation - Medical Definition
- Extreme incipient inflammatory reaction of the body tissues to an injury.
- The normal response of a nerve or muscle to a stimulus.
- The evocation of a reaction in the body tissues by the application of a stimulus.
- irritative adjective