Any of various black-colored beans, especially:
a. A small black variety of the kidney bean, having cream-colored flesh and a sweet flavor, used in southern and Latin-American cuisine. Also called turtle bean.
b. A fermented black soybean having a pungent salty flavor, preserved in salt and used in Asian cuisine.
(countable and uncountable, plural black beans)
- A bean plant with black seeds.
- A dried seed of a black bean plant.
- A dried black seed of certain varieties of the common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris.
- A fermented soybean, used in Asian cooking.
- An Australian tree (Castanospermum australe), also called Moreton Bay chestnut.