- An example of inept is a worker who keeps dropping and breaking jars while stocking groceries.
- An example of inept is an answer to a question that does not include the correct information.
The definition of inept is being bad at a task or not suitable.
- not suitable to the purpose; unfit
- wrong in a foolish and awkward way: inept praise
- clumsy or bungling
Origin of ineptFrench inepte ; from Classical Latin ineptus ; from in-, not + aptus, suitable, apt
- Lacking or showing a lack of skill or competence; bungling or clumsy: an inept actor; an inept performance.
- Showing a lack of judgment, sense, or reason; inappropriate or foolish: an inept remark.
Origin of ineptLatin ineptus : in-, not; see in–1 + aptus, suitable; see apt.
(comparative more inept, superlative most inept)
From Middle French inepte, from Latin ineptus