The definition of cumbersome is something that is difficult to deal with or handle because of its size or weight.
An example of cumbersome is a heavy, unevenly weighted television.
hard to handle or deal with as because of size, weight, or many parts; burdensome; unwieldy; clumsy
- Difficult to handle because of weight or bulk: tried to lug the cumbersome luggage up the stairs.
- Difficult to use or deal with: cumbersome instructions; a cumbersome name; a cumbersome registration process.
(comparative more cumbersome, superlative most cumbersome)
- Burdensome or hindering, as a weight or drag; vexatious; cumbrous.
- Not easily managed or handled; awkward.
- Cumbersome machines can endanger operators and slow down production.
- Hard, difficult, demanding to handle or get around with.
- A slaves' work was as cumbersome as toiling on the fields, or in the mines.
cumber (“hindrance”) + -some.