The definition of stupid is a person with less than normal intelligence or a boring situation.adjective
- An example of stupid is an adult who doesn't know the answer to 1+1.
- An example of stupid is an unimportant meeting with dull conversation.
- in a state of stupor; dazed; stunned; stupefied
- lacking normal intelligence or understanding; slow-witted; dull
- showing or resulting from a lack of normal intelligence; foolish; irrational: a stupid idea
- dull and boring; tiresome [a stupid party]: also used informally as a generalized term of disapproval: a stupid hat
Origin: L stupidus < stupere, to be stunned or amazed < IE *steup-, to strike: see steep
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
- Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
- Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
- Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
- Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
- Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
Origin: Latin stupidus, from stupēre, to be stunned.
- stuˈpid·ly adverb
- stuˈpid·ness noun