The definition of vacuous is empty or not intelligent.
An example of vacuous is a ditzy person who has no smart or useful ideas.
- empty of matter
- having or showing lack of intelligence, interest, or thought; stupid; senseless; inane
- characterized by lack of purpose, of profitable employment, etc.; idle
Origin of vacuousClassical Latin vacuus
- a. Lacking intelligence; stupid or empty-headed.b. Devoid of substance or meaning; vapid or inane: a vacuous comment.c. Devoid of expression; vacant: a vacuous stare. See Synonyms at empty.
- Lacking serious purpose or occupation; idle: “A sleepless night was followed by a vacuous day” (Zon Ferraris).
- Archaic Devoid of matter; empty: vacuous space.
Origin of vacuousFrom Latin vacuus, empty; see vacuum.
(comparative more vacuous, superlative most vacuous)
Latin vacuus (“empty, vacant")