- The definition of sane is someone or something that has a healthy mind, is reasonable, and makes sensible judgments.
- A normal and level-headed person is an example of someone who would be described as sane.
- A logical idea that makes sense is an example of a sane idea.
sane definition by Webster's New World
- having a normal, healthy mind; able to make sound, rational judgments
- showing good sense; sensible: a sane policy
- Rare not diseased; healthy
Origin: Classical Latin sanus, healthy
sane definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adjective san·er, san·est
- Of sound mind; mentally healthy: “their protector, the strongest and sanest of them all” (Pat Conroy).
- Having or showing sound judgment; reasonable.
Origin: Latin sānus, healthy.
- saneˈly adverb
- saneˈness noun
sane - Legal Definition
Webster's New World Law Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The condition of having a sound and rational mind; being mentally healthy and having the ability to distinguish right from wrong. In all jurisdictions, being sane is presumed, and it is up to the defense to prove the contrary to be true. Synonymous with sanity. See also insanity and insanity defense.sanity hearing
- An examination of one’s mental competency to see whether one is mentally equipped to stand trial.
- A court proceeding, held to determine whether a person’s mental health dictates institutionalization.
sane - Medical Definition
Of sound mind; mentally healthy.
- saneness noun