- The definition of helpless is not able to take care of oneself.
An example of someone helpless is a newborn baby.
A helpless baby bird.
helpless definition by Webster's New World
- not able to help oneself; weak
- lacking help or protection
- incompetent, ineffective, or powerless
helpless definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Unable to help oneself; powerless or incompetent.
- Lacking support or protection: They were left helpless in the storm.
- Impossible to control; involuntary: helpless laughter.
- helpˈless·ly adverb
- helpˈless·ness noun