- not able to help oneself; weak
- lacking help or protection
- incompetent, ineffective, or powerless
A helpless baby bird.
The definition of helpless is not able to take care of oneself.
An example of someone helpless is a newborn baby.
- Unable to help oneself; powerless or incompetent.
- Lacking support or protection: They were left helpless in the storm.
- Impossible to control; involuntary: helpless laughter.
(comparative more helpless, superlative most helpless)
- He was helpless to find her.
- I can't describe how helpless I felt.
- Piteous, helpless, animal moans came through the door.
- Feeling helpless, he glanced again at the hourglass.
- She hung, helpless and exhausted, stuck in the in-between place until the pain of her head hitting something hard jarred her into consciousness.